The theme is Photoshop some unexpected Windows Vista screenshots.
I’m always suspicious of reviews of Vista RC1 for the simple fact that it’s a release candidate and I can’t figure out why anyone would consider it review-worthy. (You wouldn’t go to the first dress rehearsal of a new musical and base your decision on how the final producton will look. Well, not if you’re sane.)
But hey, the more people who keep hearing how the Mac platform is growing, the better chance folks will use it, and that’s good news from where I’m sitting.
Plus, it’s a funny and realistic article.
When someone like me writes a review of Windows Vista, there’s no point in reading it. I don’t like Windows, even though I work with it every day, so I’m not likely to say anything nice about it.
So if someone like Paul Thurrott, who admits to knowing folks at Microsoft and liking them, trashes Vista this badly, all you can say is “ouch”.
So Apple opened up a beta today where you can run Windows on your Intel Mac. Meh. It might make things easier if I actually was tied to a PC for anything I do, but outside of gaming I have no need for a PC, and generally I console game.
Anyway, Boot Camp still looks pretty cool, and if it gets more folks to buy Mac hardware, hey, my portfolio won’t mind.
Best line of the whole page:
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.
Today I learned:
- When you describe your symptoms to your OB-GYN’s office and they say, “Oh, we want to see you right away!” they really mean, “Unless you changed insurance recently and we don’t take your new stuff. Then you can kiss off. Or pay out-of-pocket. Your choice.”
- Cheddar cheese ramen is very hot and very filling, but won’t be enough food to get you from 12:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Two cans of coca cola and a reece’s fast break are also required.
- HP computers boot too damn fast for you to spot the “press this for boot list” key if you don’t know where to look on the screen.
- It’s worse if your co-worker is yelling to press “delete” because that’s what his computer at home uses but the ones at work use f-9.
- PC users are used to this kind of bios crap. Mac users hold down the C key when they want to boot from CD. We’re spoiled.
- Even though the PS2 port for keyboard and mouse are the same shape, PCs get really pissy when you get the two plugs confused.
- Even I can install Windows XP.
- When you call your boss at 9:30 at night, he doesn’t expect you to tell him that you’re just now leaving work, especially if your shift was supposed to end at 7.
- The steak sandwich place closes at 10. Domino’s does not.
- Sometimes Friday can feel like a week unto itself.